21/01/2011

My Day In London 15/01/11

I had a fantastic day out in London on Saturday 15/1, me and my travelling companion Des Speed met up at King's Lynn train station ready for the 0855 First Capital Connect service to London Kings Cross (photo above) and purely by coincidence we bumped into David Bell on the train who was heading to Three Bridges to photograph rail replacement services that were operating to and from Brighton. We had an enjoyable journey down and arrived at Kings Cross around about on time at 1035.

I then split up with Des who went off and did his own non-bus related activities. I then went and topped up my Oyster Card before getting my first bus of the day Arriva London Mercedes Benz Citaro G BX04MYZ on the 73 to Victoria. I took a few photographs around Victoria including an Optare Versa on the C1 which is an unusual sighting for that route.

My second bus of the day was Go Ahead London General rigid Mercedes Benz Citaro BT09GPE on the 507 to Waterloo (photo above) upon arrival at Waterloo I walked around to the London Eye to catch the RV1 to London Bridge, now, I had hoped that some of the new Hydrogen powered VDL Pulsars would have been out in service but they were not so the bus for the first leg of my RV1 journey was First London Dart/ADL Enviro200 YX10BGK.

I then spent an hour or so around London Bridge, taking a few photos, grabbing a bite to eat for lunch and watching a beheading demonstration outside the London Dungeon which was certainly interesting! I then re boarded the RV1 with another Dart - YX10BGF for the short journey to Tower Gateway DLR station.

I then had a rest enjoying the view of the Tower Of London (photo above) whilst deciding what to do next, I then photographed some of the vehicles operating the District Line Rail Replacement including two Arriva the Shires Trident 2/ADL Enviro400

After that I then decided to have my first ever ride on the Docklands Light Railway which I fell in love with straight away! I went from Tower Gateway to Canary Wharf, Canary Wharf to Stratford and then Stratford back to Bow Church. I then caught a un'id Stagecoach London Scania Omnicity back to Kings Cross on the 205.

I then met back with Des and we got the 1845 train back to King's Lynn - it was an enjoyable journey home, we also bumped into Jamie Armstrong who was catching the same train as us which was nice :)

So all in all it was a good day, the main downside was technical problems with my camera (which turned out to be a dirty lens) meant many of the photos I took were unusable. But I managed to get around 40 which were of moderate quality.

All the photos from the day will be uploaded to www.facebook.com/andysbusphotos in the next few days.