29/08/2013

Looking back... Coaches in the East - part 2

We continue our well recieved Looking back... series with the second in a brand new three part special showing another interesting selection of coaches photographed in East Anglia during the 1970's and 1980's, all of the photos in this three part special are from David Bell's fantastic archive...

This part shows three coaches and a coach converted into a mobile fish and chip shop! All of the operators included are no longer around.

Looking back... Coaches in the East PT2 (c) David Bell
The first photo in this part shows this smart Plaxton Paramount bodied DAF SB200 ECP 567Y in the fleet of Easey Travel, March. The coach was new to Gath, Dewsbury © David Bell.

Looking back... Coaches in the East PT2 (c) David Bell
Next in the bright pink livery of Taylors, Meppershall (near Bedford) we see Plaxton Supreme bodied Bristol LH 617 MUR working on an excursion to Great Yarmouth © David Bell.

Looking back... Coaches in the East PT2 (c) David Bell
The penultimate photo in this selection shows Bammant's, Fakenham Plaxton Paramount bodied Bedford YNT A839 PPP. This coach was new to Armchair and is still believed to survive (or at least until recently) in the Turner & Butcher, Kenninghall fleet © David Bell

Looking back... Coaches in the East PT2 (c) David Bell
We conclude this part with this very interesting vehicle, new in 1955, after life as a coach this Duple Vega bodied Bedford SBG HCF 323 was converted into a mobile fish and chip shop and operated by RC Saunders of Stotfold, note the appropriately period prices - 85p for fish and chips! Sadly this vehicle was burnt out some years later.

Thats it for the second part of this photo special, many thanks to David Bell for sharing the photos with us, look out for the third part which should be published next week!