17/11/2014

LVVS Autumn Running Day 2014 - part 1

Sunday 2nd November saw the annual Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society autumn running day take place in Lincoln, this end of season event continues to grow in popularity and this year was no exception with the museum breaking its record for the most paying visitors through the gates with 1100 entering during the day, vehicle numbers were also up with 45 visiting buses and coaches in attendance and around 37 examples (including those from the museum's own collection) in service on free services around the city. As in recent years our regular correspondent David Bell attended and has kindly shared a selection of photos from the enjoyable event with us - they will be spread across two parts.

EYMS XSL228A
We'll start with this very smart recent addition to the East Yorkshire fleet, 1961 Bristol Lodekka XSL 228A, this bus was latterly in the now defunct Dreadnought Coaches of Alnwick fleet and originally new to Bristol Omnibus as 866 NHT (c) David Bell.

Barton 966RVO
Next up we have a seemingly unique vehicle, Barton Bedford VAL14 966 RVO, this dates from 1963 and was the only example of Yeates bodywork carried on a VAL chassis, it is also reported to be one of only seven ever built with dual sliding doors (c) David Bell.

Lincoln SVL830R
Lincoln native Bristol LH6L SVL 830R, this was new in 1977 and was one of Lincoln's large fleet of Bristol LH buses for single deck routes which did not justify a 'full size' single decker. It saw service until 1993 when it became a driver training bus with Derby City Transport and subsequently Arriva (c) David Bell.

Grimsby-Cleethorpes NAT766A
Another interesting double decker at the event was Grimsby-Cleethorpes Joint Transport Committee Roe bodied Daimler CVG6 NAT 766A, this bus was new in 1962 and originally registered TJV 100, after withdrawal in 1981 this was used in various non-PSV roles before finally entering preservation in 1989 (c) David Bell.

Brown's Blue KLB596
The penultimate photo in this selection shows Brown's Blue Bus Service 1950 Weymann bodied AEC Regent KLB 596, this bus also has an interesting history, it was new to London Transport in 1950. After withdrawal in 1978 it passed to the North West Museum of Transport and was then used in the Black & White Motorways of Andover fleet before being purchased by Mick Gamble and painted in Browns Blue livery to represent the RTs which did operate for Browns Blue (c) David Bell.

ECOC GCL349N
The last photo for this part features Eastern Counties 'National' liveried ECW bodied Bristol RE GCL 349N, this smart vehicle was new to Eastern Counties in 1974 and passed to Cambus ten years later where it worked until 1989, it later saw use with various small operators before entering preservation in 2003 (c) David Bell.

That's it for this part, many thanks to David for the excellent photos - look out for part 2 which should be online later this week.