29/11/2014

Looking back... the early days of Viscount - part 2

Continuing our latest Looking back... feature our regular guest blogger Philip Slynn is back with another look at the early days of Viscount in and around Peterborough. Philip comments: "Viscount was set up in September 1989 to take over the operations of Cambus in the Peterborough area (including March, Wisbech, Oundle and the South Lincs operations) Here are a few examples of some of the fleet in the first couple of years after formation"

VW 61
E41 RDW is a Volkswagon LT55 new to Taff-Ely Transport in 1987 and purchased by Cambus in 1988. This example carries an all-over advert for a recruitment agency. It has an Optare body (c) Philip Slynn.

Merc 321
New vehicles in 1989 were 4 Mercedes 811D with Optare bodies. This one G802 OVA is numbered S2 in the Viscount fleet (c) Philip Slynn.

Leyland 4958
This Leyland Tiger EAH 891Y was new to Eastern Counties in 1983. It is seen here ready to operate a National Express service to Skegness. In 1990 Cambus Group took over many of the operations of Premier Travel, and all Viscount coaches including this one were transferred to Premier Travel together with the express service operations (c) Philip Slynn.

Optare  9
After operating few demo vehicles some Optare Metroriders were purchased in 1992 and this is fleet no S6 J806 DWW (c) Philip Slynn.

Volvo 1455
2 Volvo B10Ms including F108 NRT were purchased from Burtons in September 1989 and painted in Viscount livery in December 1989 and transferred to Premier Travel in July 1990. Viscount named all their coaches, this one being ‘Imperial’ (c) Philip Slynn.

Many thanks to Philip for the photos and captions included in this feature.