10/12/2014

View from a dealers yard - North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet 2

Concluding a new two part feature we are once again travelling back to 1972 to take a look at something a little bit different - a well known bus dealers and scrapyard in the North. All of the photos both parts of this post have been kindly supplied by David Bell.

David comments: "North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet were a well-known bus dealer and scrapper. At times the yard was so full that excess vehicles were parked outside alongside a public road so anyone could photograph them. Some were scrapped, others went for further service and I dare say the odd one was saved for preservation. Today the site is occupied by a large industrial estate".

North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet, 1972
First up in this part is a line up of Bristol Lodekkas, the green ones from left to right are JDL 996 previously operated by Southern Vectis, OTT 4 which was later exported to the USA, XNU 425 which was new to Midland General and VRB 524 which was later exported to Jamaica! (c) David Bell.

North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet, 1972
Here we seen a line up of four ex Yorkshire Woollen AEC Regent Vs, closest to the camera is MCCW bodied CHD 610 which was new in 1958 (c) David Bell.

North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet, 1972
More of a batch seen in the first part of this post are ex-West Riding Guy Wulfrunians THL 902 and THL 891 - both date from 1961 and carry bodywork by Roe (c) David Bell.

North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet, 1972
Two interesting vehicles are seen here, on the left is Burlingham bodied Leyland Titan PD3/4 KCK 879 - this bus was new to Ribble and after being photographed here passed to Southend Corporation for further service. On the right is ECW bodied Bristol LS6G which was new to Western National in 1957, after being photographed here it passed to the Buxted Chicken Company (c) David Bell.

North's of Sherburn-in-Elmet, 1972
The final line up of vehicles in the feature is seen above, the red double decker registered WAL 122 is a Leyland Titan PD3/4 with Weymann Orion body dating from 1957. To its right is former Neath & Cardiff Weymann bodied AEC Reliance RCY 804, new in 1958 (c) David Bell.

Many thanks to David Bell for the interesting selection of photographs included in this feature, we hope you enjoyed them!